Friday, February 18, 2011

The beginning: day 1&2, day 3, day 4 (UNDIAGNOSED)

Day 1&2
I don't have any photos from these days because I didn't have any skin discoloration. I remember that my spine hurt. It was a similar type of soreness that I felt when I get chiropractor adjustments for my scoliosis. 

Eventually this soreness was localized to my left side. I could run my hand gently over my skin and it felt like a burning sensation. Soon after it felt like needles stabbing me and clawing at my insides and skin. I didn't know what was going on. Because of the location on my side, I thought this might have been my kidney. This pain was intermittent so I planned to "wait it out." Bad idea as this pain increased over the next few days.

Day 3
Since the pain was intermittent I didn't think much of it. I actually went swimming this day. I swam at least 50 laps which is 1.25k. I spent the rest of my day and late night studying. I don't recall being in too much pain after swimming. However, while showering I noticed a red mark on my side. Within the patch of red, I saw a line of 4 raised bumps and some smaller bumps to the side. I also had three tiny, red raised bumps next to my belly button. I thought these were bed bugs bites! Or possibly flea bites because my sisters new puppy slept in my bed 3 weeks ago. I knew it probably wasn't a flea, but that's all I could come up with. My spots didn't itch. They actually hurt when I touched them. As a precaution I slept in another bed, but the following day I woke up with more spots!

Day 4
This was a Monday and Valentine's Day. This morning I woke up and there were more red raised bumps! These were now clusters. I actually popped ALL of them (DON'T DO THIS!!!!). They looked like pimples. Clear fluid came out and I thought nothing more of it. I actually took a genetics test this day. This was definitely a difficult test that I had been stressing out about it, which probably contributed to shingles. After popping these suckers I actually felt less pain in my spine and burning sensation on my side. I contemplated going to the doctor, but I thought this was just a bad case of a bug bite.









2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just found your site today. I'm 23 and shingles. It was great to finally find something on the web that pertained to younger people coping with this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh... I'm at the end of day 3 right now. this blog is amazing! really interesting and comprehensive. However, I'm really not looking forward to the next couple of weeks...

    ReplyDelete