Friday, February 18, 2011

Disclaimer & About Me

Disclaimer
First off I want to say that I am by no means trying to offer any medical advice. You should consult a doctor if you suspect shingles or experience any of the symptoms. Also I would like to mention that shingles is caused by Herpes Zoster--the same virus that causes chicken pox--and should not be confused with the STD herpes simplex as many people often freak out about when they hear herpes.

I didn't think to start this blog until a few days into my shingles outbreak, but I will try to recall and record what I can remember from the beginning  I started recording pictures pretty early on and will slowly add to posts as I have time.

Purpose
The purpose of this blog is to record a young, healthy individual's experience with stress induced shingles. It was hard for me to find day to day experiences of 20-something year olds going through this. I don't know the statistics off the top of my head, but I am sure that being a healthy 21 year old who regularly works out and consumes a healthy diet is not the common typical shingles patient. Although, this may partially be due to them not being in the target population that this virus mostly affects. I hope that this blog will serve useful to anyone who experience shingles, but especially to those who are young and healthy who are not immune compromised as myself.

About me
I am currently a full time college junior, working 20 hours a week, and am just months away from applying to dental school. Up until a week ago I was sleeping my usual 4-5 hours every night. I stay pretty busy studying and volunteering. However, up until a week ago, much has changed. After I found out the painful "pimples" on my stomach were shingles blisters, I've slowed down a bit and have been getting more rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment